So, this arrived in my mailbox yesterday:
|My “move to Bend” packet from Visit Bend.|
Somewhat contrary to my original Bend Oregon Info page, here’s what I learned:
- There are only 158 fully sunny days a year, on average, in Bend (with 105 additional “mostly sunny” days).
- The gardening season is three months — basically June – August. Severe frost in May and September truncate the growing season a bit.
- The chosen name for those who live in Bend appears to be “Bendites.” I prefer “Benders.” I may have to start a campaign.
- Nighttime temps are in the 20s from November – April.
- The City of Bend has a Facebook page, a Twitter account, and a YouTube channel (don’t miss the Sewer Advisory Group Tour video. Scintillating).
- Visit Bend is all over social media too: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Flicker, Pinterest, and Google+ (does anyone actually use Google+?).
- Real estate agents in Bend are on it. Rental agencies, not so much.
- I can get $100 off bendbroadband installation through Vance Allen by using the code: VISIT. That’s the only special offer for new, um, “Benders” in the slim packet.
- Visit Bend claims the city has “hip cosmopolitan appeal” (see page 1 of the Official Visitor Guide magazine). They also like the tagline “cosmo cool.” Really? I hope it’s all marketing nonsense. I’m leaving L.A. to get away from that sh*t.
- Bend is not a collagen/juvaderm/botox-free environment. I didn’t really think it was, but I was sad to see this advertisement below, on page 36 of Visit Bend’s Official Vistor Guide.
|An ad in Bend’s Official Visitor Guide —
Surgical and non-surgical facial enhancement so you can “finally look the way you feel.”
(I’m pretty sure people “enhance” their mugs to look way better than they feel.)